spurs v carlisle united match reports

[this page is under-going construction - please bear with MEHSTG as we try to complete this mammoth task for all our opponents.]

26.09.2012 League Cup Third Round.  For a match report, click here.

Carlisle United Manager : Greg Abbott
Match sponsor : Carlsberg
Associate Sponsor : footballscores.com
Match ball sponsors : Heineken; David R. Brown Architectural Services.
Match programme sponsor : Baines Wilson LLP

30.09.1997 Spurs showed their superiority in the League Cup Second Round Second Leg at Brunton Park to go through.

David Ginola hit his first goal for the club from the penalty spot two minutes before half time after Les Ferdinand had been fouled.  This made up for a disallowed goal the mercurial Frenchman had scored, which looked perfectly valid, but the referee pulled play back for an earlier foul.

With five minutes of the second half gone, John Scales' long pass set Armstrong through and his finish put Spurs two up.  Other chances came the way of Vega, Ferdinand and Ginola, but there was no addition to the score, as Walker dealt with Carlisle's efforts on goal from Rob Bowman and Matt Jansen.

Teams : 
Carlisle -  Caig, Bowman, Jansen.
Subs not used : 
Spurs -  Walker, Carr, Vega, Scales, Edinburgh, Campbell, Calderwood, Fox, Clemence, Ginola (Dominguez), Armstrong, Ferdinand
Subs not used :  Baardsen, Mabbutt
Ref :  Jeff Winter (Whitley Bay)
Linesmen : Dave Horlick; Chris Winter
Attendance : -  13,571

Carlisle shirt sponsor : Eddie Stobart Ltd
Match sponsor : Sealy Beds UK
Programme sponsor : Price Waterhouse
Match ball sponsor : Leathes Head Hotel

17.09.1997 This first meeting in the League Cup at the Second Round First Leg stage saw Tottenham take a narrow lead into the journey north against new manager David Wilkes' Carlisle United side, with Mervyn Day having been sacked shortly before this tie.

Jose Dominguez's cross was volleyed home in the first minute by Neale Fenn to give Spurs a flying start, but Carlisle turned around in the lead thanks to goals from Andy Couzens (39 mins.) and Warren Aspinall (44).  Couzens finished a breakaway with a volley and Aspinall took a long ball and beat Walker, even though the keeper got a hand to the shot.  Spurs did have chances with Fox, Scales and Dominguez all going close

A 72nd shot on the turn by Ruel Fox gave Spurs parity and then substitute Paul Mahorn scored his first Tottenham goal by heading home Ginola's cross powerfully past Tony Caig in the 77th minute to provide Spurs with the advantage from the home leg.

Teams : 
Spurs -  Walker; Edinburgh, Mabbutt, Campbell, Scales; Fox, Nielsen, Ginola, Clemence; Dominguez, Fenn (Mahorn) 
Subs not used :  Calderwood, Carr
Carlisle -  Caig; Barr, Varty, Poutenwatchy, Archdeacon; Prokas, Couzens, Harrison (Dobie), Jansen, ; McAllindon, Aspinall.
Subs not used :  Milligan, Bowman
Manager :  David Wilkes
Ref : Gerald Ashby (Worcestershire)
Attendance : -  19,255


Bobby Owen gave Carlisle the lead in the fifth minute of this First Division meeting at White Hart Lane.  However, Martin Chivers hit back just before half-time with a firm header.

Teams : 
Spurs - 
Jennings, Evans, Knowles, Pratt, England, Naylor, Neighbour, Perryman, Chivers, Chris Jones, Coates
Unused sub. : - McGrath
Programme line-up
Carlisle : - Tom Clarke, Peter Carr, John Gorman, Chris Balderstone, Bill Green (cpt), Bobby Parker, Dennis Martin, Ray Train, Frank Clarke, Bobby Owen, Eddie Spearritt
Sub. McGrath
Ref. Mr. Ken W. Baker (Rugby, Warwicks)
Linesmen : Mr. R. Rodell (Beds) - Red flag; Mr. W. A. Whittington (Sussex) - Yellow flag
Attendance : -  12,813

Goal times
First goal – 3m 47s
Second goal – 43m 03s


Carlisle's first ever game in the First Division saw Tottenham Hotspur visit Brunton Park and slip to a 0-1 defeat, with the team nervous after two previous defeats by the same score.

Spurs went close when Martin Peters had a shot beaten out by goalkeeper Alan Ross, but the ball went straight to Ralph Coates and his shot hit the keeper and was bundled out for a corner.  But for much of the first half, Tottenham were allowing Carlisle to attack them and as a consequence, the Cumbrians were able to take a lead into the half-time break. Mike England's 20th minute tackle on Joe Laidlaw was adjudged to be a foul and Chris Balderstone (later to play cricket for England) struck the spot-kick well, but Pat Jennings savedHowever, the referee said that Jennings had moved and Balderstone re-took the penalty and blasted it in.

It was almost 2-0 soon after, when Ray Train hit a 35 yard shot that rebounded off the bar.  The pressure from the home side continued and another shout when Laidlaw again went down in the area was waved away.

Spurs came into the game more in the second half and although they enjoyed more possession, they rarely threatened the Carlisle goalkeeper Allan Ross.  Their best chance saw substitute Chris McGrath dribbling through the home defence only to shoot over the bar. 

The win put Carlisle United top of the First Division in their first few weeks in the top flight.  Conversely, Tottenham were bottom with this their third consecutive defeat that brought Bill Nicholson’s resignation just over a week later.

Teams : 
Carlisle -  Allan Ross, Carr, Chris Balderstone, Brian Parker, John Gorman, Green, Martin, Ray Train, Clarke, Owen, Barry.
Sub. not used : 
Spurs -  Jennings, Evans, England, Naylor, Beal, Pratt, Perryman, Neighbour, Coates, Peters (cpt), Chris Jones (McGrath). 
Sub. not used : 
Ref :  Mr. Roy Capey (Staffordshire)
Attendance : -   18,426

Tottenham's visit to Brunton Park was the first ever First Division game ever played in Cumberland.

18.01.1972 This FA Cup 3rd Round replay on a Tuesday evening saw Spurs ease through 3-1 despite a strong start from the Cumbrians.

When Tottenham failed to clear a corner, Dennis Martin struck the loose ball in to give Carlisle the lead. Spurs were under pressure and Chris Balderstone twice went close to doubling the lead. When Steve Perryman and Alan Gilzean linked up to provide Martin Chivers with a scoring opportunity, he took it in the 25th minute with a left foot shot from the edge of the penalty area to make it 1-1.

This gave Spurs the impetus and Martin Peters' cross was headed in with a trademark Gilzean flick of his head before half-time.

As expected, Carlisle came out to press for an equaliser after the restart, but Spurs kept them out and halfway through the second period, they went further ahead when Gilzean played in Chivers to slam home the third Tottenham goal that proved decisive.

Teams : 
Carlisle -  , , , , , , , Martin, , , .
Sub. not used : 
Spurs - Jennings, Kinnear, Knowles, Coates, England, Beal, Gilzean (P. Collins), Perryman, Chivers, Peters, Naylor
Sub. not used : 
Attendance : -  21,560


15.01.1972 Goals from Alan Gilzean and Stan Bowles cancelled each other out in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane.

The pitch was heavy after recent rain and Alan Gilzean nudged the ball over the line at the Park Lane end from close range put Spurs ahead, beating a defender on the line after 18 minutes and 14 seconds.

Carlisle equalised with 30 minutes and 28 seconds on the clock,
 when Chris Balderstone delicately chipped the ball on to Stan Bowles who scored after drifting past three Spurs players and firing home from 30 yards out.

Spurs pushed hard for a second goal in the second half, but the Carlisle defence were resolute in keeping Tottenham out to take the tie to a replay at Brunton Park.

Teams : 
Spurs - Jennings, Evans, Want, Coates, England, Beal, Gilzean, Perryman, Chivers, Peters
(cpt), Neighbour
Sub. not used : 
Carlisle -  
Ross, Hemstead, Goran, Ternent, Winstanley, Bowles, Barton, Martin, Owen, Webb, Balderstone.
Manager : - Ian MacFarlane
Sub. not used : 
Attendance : -   33,702


23.01.1971 A closely fought FA Cup Fourth Round tie saw Spurs go through 3-2 in front of a reduced capacity crowd because of safety reasons.

With Carlisle dominating the first half hour of the game, Spurs had to weather the storm at Brunton Park.

Dennis Martin put the Cumbrians ahead in the 27th minute, but two quick goals turned the game in Tottenham's favour.  Alan Gilzean levelled the score, beating Martin Peters to a header six yards out before Peters ran in unmarked to head home low past the keeper from Martin Chivers' cross, giving Tottenham a 2-1 lead before the interval.

However, soon after the second half had started Bob Owen pulled Carlisle level and it was left to Jimmy Neighbour to get Spurs' second goal as he went past three players on his way into the box and as the keeper came out, whipped the ball past him into the net for his first goal in the senior team in the closing minutes of the match.

Teams : 
Carlisle -  Stan Ternant, Dennis Martin, Bob Owen, Chris Balderstone, Bob Hatton.
Subs not used : 
Manager :  Ian McFarlane
Spurs - 
Jennings, Kinnear, Knowles, Mullery (c), Naylor, Beal, Gilzean, Perryman, Chivers, Peters, Neighbour.
Unused Sub. : - Pearce

Attendance : -   25,269


Alternative History

Club Records

Stadium Details



League Record

Full results history of Spurs v Carlisle United

Spurs v Carlisle United Facts

Transfers from Carlisle United to Tottenham

Transfers from Tottenham to Carlisle United


Back to homepage