uefa cup - 1984

Route to the Final : -
Round 1 - 1st Leg 14.9.83 Drogheda United (Republic of Ireland) A 6 - 0 Falco 2, Mabbutt 2, Galvin, Crooks 7,000
Round 1 - 2nd Leg 28.9.83 Drogheda United (Republic of Ireland) H 8 - 0 Falco 2, Roberts 2, Brazil 2, Hughton, Archibald 19,831
Round 2 - 1st Leg 19.10.83 Feyenoord (Holland) H 4 - 2 Archibald 2, Galvin 2 35,404
Round 2 - 2nd Leg 2.11.83 Feyenoord (Holland) A 2 - 0 Hughton, Galvin 49,241
Round 3 - 1st Leg 23.11.83 Bayern Munich (Germany) A 0 - 1 - 20,000
Round 3 - 2nd Leg 7.12.83 Bayern Munich (Germany) H 2 - 0 Archibald, Falco 41,977
Round 4 - 1st Leg 7.3.84 Austria Vienna (Austria) H 2 - 0 Archibald, Brazil 34,069
Round 4 - 2nd Leg 21.3.84 Austria Vienna (Austria) A 2 - 2 Ardiles,  Brazil 21,000
Semi-Final - 1st Leg 11.4.84 Hadjuk Split (Yugoslavia) A 1 - 2 Falco 40,000
Semi-Final - 2nd Leg 25.4.84 Hadjuk Split (Yugoslavia) H 1 - 0 Hazard 43,969
AGGREGATE SCORE 2 - 2 Spurs win on away goals.

Match Details : - 


Date : -  Wednesday 9th May 1984

Venue : -  Park Astrid, Brussels.

Crowd : -  38,000

Weather : -  Dry, but rainy later.

Referee : -  Bruno Galler (Switzerland)

Score : -

Anderlecht 1 1 Tottenham Hotspur

Goalscorers : -           

Olsen 85   Miller 58


Teams : - 

Anderlecht :
1. Munaron, 2. de Greef, 10. Olsen, 3. Grun, 5. de Groote, 4. Czerniatinski (14. Vercauteren 64), 6. Scifo, 7. Vandereycken, 8. Hofkens, 9. Vandenbergh (16. Arnesen 82), 7. Larsen.
Unused subs. : -  Vekeman, Gudjohnsen, Frimann

Tottenham Hotspur :
1. Tony Parks, 2. Danny Thomas, 3. Chris Hughton, 5. Paul Miller, 6. Steve Perryman (c); 4. Graham Roberts, 7. Micky Hazard, 10. Gary Stevens (12. Gary Mabbutt 81), 11. Tony Galvin; 8. Mark Falco, 9. Steve Archibald.
Unused subs. : - Richard Cooke, Ray Clemence, Ian Culverhsouse

Colours : - 

Anderlecht : -  All white, with violet horizontal asymmetrical stripes.

Tottenham Hotspur : -  All pale blue

Match Report : -  

The first leg of the competition was played on a rainy night in Brussels and the pitch was heavy and muddy.  A technically proficient Anderlecht side had knocked out Nottingham Forest in the semi-final by scoring three goals at home (later to be the subject of an investigation into bribery of the match officials) to overcome a first leg away defeat.  It would not be an easy task for Spurs, but they entered the Vanden Stock stadium with a large following, who had been upset by the shooting dead of a Tottenham fan in a bar in the City the day before the game.  The Police had been a bit heavy handed with Tottenham fans on the way to the game, with many kept at service stations away from the city until they were bussed in direct to the stadium.

However, Tottenham kicked off and started the game in good style, trying to keep possession of the ball.  Tony Galvin turned on the right of the box inside the first minute and out in a low shot at the near post that Munaron pushed out for a corner, which was then headed over by Gary Stevens.  Anderlecht launched their first attack and Danny Thomas was forced to head away a right wing cross for a corner.  Five minutes later, Tony Parks came for a corner and missed it, but Graham Roberts was behind him to knock the ball out, although when it came back in, it was deflected for a corner.  When it came into the goal-mouth, Kenneth Brylle put his header across the face of goal.

Anderlecht then went close in the 17th minute, when George Degroote struck a 30 yarder a couple of feet wide before Spurs moved the ball to the other end to win a corner, which was played back short to Micky Hazard, who was 25 yards out and hit a low shot from the left corner of the penalty box, but it was pulled wide with 18 minutes gone.  In the 24th minute, Galvin intercepted a cross-field pass and his cross from the left found Mark Falco on the right hand post, from where he headed across goal, but the effort drifted wide. 

Ten minutes later, Danny Thomas gave the ball away in his own penalty area and when it was laid back, Enzo Scifo took a shot from just outside the area that deflected off Paul Miller and into the hands of Tony Parks.  Five minutes before the break, Graham Roberts decided to head the ball back to Parks, but he almost put in Brylle, but Miller was covering to avert the danger.  From there, Spurs moved forward and Galvin put in a pacy cross from the left wing and Falco rose at the far post to put his header two feet wide.  Spurs kept the pressure on up to the break and Hazard's ball in from the right found Stevens, who let go a low shot that was saved by the home keeper.

Following the restart, it took four minutes for the first shot, with Czerniatinski getting onto the end of a long cross at the far post, striking the ball firmly from a narrow angle, but Parks was equal to it and beat the ball away, then the same midfielder was put through one-on-one with Parks and although he managed to poke the ball past the Tottenham keeper, it went wide of the goal. 

In the 52nd minute, a mix-up in the Belgian defence almost let Spurs in.  The ball appeared to be going out, with the keeper moving towards the ball, when a defender tried to pass it back to Munaron, but only succeeded in giving it to Falco, whose shot was kicked off the line by de Greef.  The breakthrough came in the 58th minute, when a Micky Hazard corner from the left wing was met with great determination by Paul Miller's forehead and the ball flew past the Anderlecht keeper from eight yards out to give Tottenham the lead and a vital away goal.  A shot by Hazard in the following minute was saved on the line by Munaron, as Spurs pressed forward with their advantage of a goal behind them.

This brought a response from Anderlecht, who had rarely threatened until this point, but Brylle turned in the box in the 63rd minute to strike a low shot that Parks saved and then put a header just wide.  The Tottenham defence were solid in repelling their attacks, but almost went 2-0 up when Mark Falco powered through as Spurs relieved the pressure with a break away attack, but the striker's header from Archibald's cross was saved and followed it up with a half-volley that blazed over the top from eight yards out, when Archibald had set him up again.  Before and after these chances, Spurs had two players booked.  Tony Galvin saw yellow, but the more important one in the 67th minute, was when Steve Perryman was booked for a foul and this added to a previous yellow card meant that the team captain would be suspended for the home leg in two weeks time.  Despite that, he dug in to make sure that the team had something to defend in that game.

Still, Tottenham moved forward and Hazard's 83rd minute free-kick from the right was headed out to Tony Galvin, who hit a shot from the edge of the box that Munaron saved in the air.  Then, it happened.

Heartbreakingly, with just five minutes left, Anderlecht grabbed an equaliser and it owed much to the wet conditions.  Danny Thomas conceded a free-kick, which Vercauteren took and Spurs headed the ball out.  It onyl went as far as the edge of the area to the Dane Frank Arnesen, who was on as a substitute and he fired in a low shot, which young keeper Tony Parks kept out, but the wet ball squirmed away from him and following up, defender Morten Olsen forced the ball over the line from close range. 

While substitute Gary Mabbutt had a near post header go across the face of goal with a couple of minutes remaining, it was a disappointing end to the game for such an admirable defensive performance, but a draw was something to take back to White Hart Lane for the second leg.

Comments : - 

When queuing up to get into the ground, a police dog sank it's teeth into the arm of the Spurs fan in front of me.  He hadn't done anything, apart from be there, but luckily, it did not get through the coat.

Inside the ground, the Police almost caused a riot among Tottenham fans as they tried to rip the flags and banners draped over the fences surrounding the terracing.  The Spurs fans went to get their flags back, but the Police took this as an act of aggression and stormed into the terrace behind the goal battering supporters indiscriminately with their batons.

The pitch was heavy and muddy following a day's rain, which continued during and after the game.

The ground is situated in a park, where there were lots of flowers in bloom and people were walking despite the hundreds of fans going to the match.


Match Details : - 


Date : -  Wednesday 23rd May 1984

Venue : -  White Hart Lane

Crowd : -  46,258

Weather : -  Rainy, chilly.

Referee : -   Volker Roth (Germany)

Score : -

Tottenham Hotspur 1 1 Anderlecht

Goalscorers : -           

Roberts 83   Czerniatinski 60


(after extra time - 90 mins: - Score 1 - 1; aggregate score : - 2-2)                                                                        
Spurs won 4 - 3 on penalties.

  Penalty takers : -           

Tottenham Hotspur - - Anderlecht
Graham Roberts Morten Olsen
Mark Falco Kenneth Brylle
Gary Stevens Enzo Scifo
Steve Archibald Frankie Vercauteren
Danny Thomas Arnor Gudjohnsen


Teams : - 

Tottenham Hotspur : -  Tony Parks; Chris Hughton, Paul Miller (Ossie Ardiles 77), Gary Mabbutt (Ally Dick 73), Danny Thomas; Graham Roberts (c), Tony Galvin, Micky Hazard, Gary Stevens; Mark Falco, Steve Archibald.
Unused subs. : - Ray Clemence, Mark Bowen, Garth Crooks

Anderlecht : -  Jacques Munaron, Georges Grun, Walter De Greef, Alex Czerniatinski (Kenneth Brylle 104), Michel De Groote, Frank Vercauteren (c), Rene Vandereycken, Willem Hofkens, Enzo Scifo, Morten Olsen, Frank Arnesen (Arnor Gudjohnsen 79)
Unused subs : -

Match Report : -  

A game which was tense and slightly spoiled by Anderlecht's offside tactics and the referee's insistent whistling ended in an explosive manner that took it into extra time and penalties, before Tony Parks became Tottenham's hero in victory.

A 46,000 crowd gathered to see if Tottenham could overcome the technical ability of the Belgians, after the first leg ended delicately poised at 1-1.

Spurs almost went ahead in the ninth minute, when Tony Galvin made a left wing run and crossed to the edge of the six yard box and Steve Archibald met it at the near post, flicking the ball with the outside of his boot and taking it just outside the far post by inches.  Immediately, Anderlecht countered and Czerniatinski was put through the middle and Tony Parks was required to come out to block at his feet.

Spurs were putting in some strong tackles, while the visitors were happy to pass the ball around, but when Falco received the ball 25 yards out, he flicked it up and hit a shot on the turn that forced Munaron to a low save in the 14th minute, while Gary Stevens fired over the top five minutes later when he found himself just inside the area.  There was another close shave for Anderlecht when a 21st minute Micky Hazard free-kick was cleared straight to Gary Mabbutt outside the box and his left-foot drive was just the wrong side of the post as far as Tottenham were concerned.

A Spurs player almost got on the score-sheet when a low ball into the box was cleared by Danny Thomas, but the ball narrowly went over the bar of his own goal just after 25 minutes.  Then three minutes after that incident, fellow full-back Chris Hughton lost possession in the opposition's half, but a quick break saw Frank Arnesen get into the penalty area on the right side and Parks had to be out sharply to force the Dane to shoot a fair way wide of the target.

Some late challenges by the Belgian side were annoying Spurs players and after one more, Graham Roberts threw an arm at Georges Grun, who then took a kick at the back of the Spurs captain's calf.  Despite this, it was only just before half time that a booking was made by the whistle happy German referee, when Arnesen was booked for a series of moans at the official.  With this a flurry of late attacking intent finished the half 0-0, but only just.  Vercauteren flashed a low ball across the face of goal at the Spurs end, while Galvin set up Hazard from the left wing and the midfielder's shot with the outside of the right boot went just over the bar from 20 yards out.

The second half kicked off with Anderlecht attacking the Paxton Road goal.  The first chance came at the Park Lane though, with Roberts winning a 56th minute header and as the ball bounced up, Gary Stevens went for it, but caught Munaron with a kick and the keeper reacted angrily.  It lead to bookings for both players after the referee had separated the melee that ensued. 

On 60 minutes, the moment Spurs fans feared arrived.  Playing the ball out from the back, Morten Olsen made a foray out of defence as he often did and played a through pass to Alex Czerniatinski running into the left corner of the penalty area.  As Parks came out to meet him, the Pole slipped the ball past the goalie with the outside of his right foot to put Anderlecht 2-1 ahead on aggregate.  The ground fell silent save for a few hundred Belgian fans at the other end of the ground.

Things could have got worse three minutes after the goal, as Willem Hofkens found himself through to the edge of the penalty area on the right side, but lost his bearings and hit a weak shot wide with only Parks to beat.  Spurs almost undid the Anderlecht offside trap on 70 minutes, when Graham Roberts chipped the ball over the on-rushing defence, but as the ball landed Micky Hazard got in the way and was ruled offside.

Mark Falco was the next player in the book for a late tackle and he was involved in setting up Tony Galvin with a header down to volley a couple of feet wide of the post from about eight yards out.  Galvin had previously fired over when well placed in the box.  Paul Miller had been having a battle with a number of Anderlecht players and he was fouled by Scifo, but left a trailing leg in to become another name in the referee's book.  Burkinshaw was keen to keep the pressure on the Belgians, so brought on the pace of Ally Dick on the wing to replace Gary Mabbutt.

With half an hour of the second half gone, a corner came in and Graham Roberts rose to meet it with a free header, but could only put it over the bar, just before Spurs brought on Ossie Ardiles for Paul Miller.  And the Argentinian was involved in a free kick routine, when Galvin was baulked five yards outside the right corner of the penalty area.  Ossie's cross in found Archibald losing his marker at the near post and getting low to head the ball goal-wards, but Munaron dived low to save.  Three minutes later, Archibald took down a ball in the penalty area, surrounded by defenders, before getting a shot on goal that the keeper had to push wide for a corner.

With 84 minutes on the clock, Galvin controlled the ball from a corner and poked it forward into the six yard box where Falco got something on it and forced a defender to block with two hands, but the referee did not see it.  The loose ball ran to Ardiles, who smacked it at goal from a couple of yards out and amazingly, the ball hit the bar and bounced out, with it being helped out of the penalty area.  Micky Hazard picked it up halfway inside the Belgian's half and helped it back into the box, where it found Graham Roberts powering through Hofkens and Olsen to chest it down and ram it past the right hand of the Anderlecht keeper for the equaliser.  The stadium erupted as the team celebrated

However, the visitors were not finished and Czerniatinski managed to wriggle past Chris Hughton and through on Parks, could only hit a weak shot straight at the keeper.  Spurs then had a penalty shout when Danny Thomas' long right wing cross was headed on by Mark Falco and Morten Olsen's hand made contact with the ball, but once more, the officials failed to deal with the incident.  Two minutes remained when Enzo Scifo curled a shot from outside the penalty area to the far post over Parks, but the effort was just too high.

More chances came in the dying stages of normal time than in the rest of the game and in the last minute, Hazard made a good run and back-heeled to Steve Archibald, who drove a low shot in from 20 yards that looked like it was creeping inside the post, but Munaron made a diving save to hold the ball.  There was still time for Gudjohnsen and Olsen hit shots over the crossbar before the final whistle.

Extra time lay ahead and Tottenham had the first chance in the second minute, when Falco headed down and the ball was hacked off the goal-line but straight up in the air.  Munaron missed the ball completely as it landed in the six yard box and it dropped to Archibald, just a yard out, but he could not get a proper touch on it and the keeper smothered the ball.  A couple of minutes later, Scifo slid a pass across the face of the goal, but it was too far ahead of Gudjohnsen and when play moved to the other end, Galvin cut in from the right wing to shoot low, but his shot was saved low at the post.  Just before the half time whistle in extra time, Roberts powered through midfield and laid the ball off to Archibald, whose low shot was easily gathered by Munaron.

Tottenham kicked off the second half and the ball was picked off by Anderlecht, who broke forward through Grun, who struck a 30 yard shot that went just past the post.  The second period was more cagey, with only a couple of opportunities for Tottenham, with a corner kick that went to Galvin beyond the far post and it was knocked back in from the right for Archibald to head back across goal.  Ardiles tried an overhead kick, but missed the bal and Gary Stevens could not get on the end of it as it went across the goal.

The whistle at the end of extra time signalled a penalty shoot out to take place in front of the Paxton Road end.

The first kick was taken by Graham Roberts, who took the captain's responsibility to fire the ball into the top left corner of the goal, sending the keeper the wrong way.  Morten Olsen took a similar choice as captain to step up to take the first penalty for the Belgians and hit it to Parks' left, but the young Spurs keeper dived to push the shot away to keep it at 1-0 to Tottenham.

Mark Falco took the second penalty for Spurs and sent Munaron the wrong way with a shot low into the right side of the goal for 2-0, while it became 2-1 when Brylle sent Parks the wrong way with a penalty shot to his left.  Gary Stevens drilled the ball down the middle past the staggering Munaron, who didn't dive but moved to one side to make it 3-1 and then Enzo Scifo side-footed his spot-kick to the left with Parks diving the other way.  3-2.

Next Steve Archibald converted to give Tottenham a 4-2 lead with a coolly taken effort low to the right and out of the keeper's reach and Frankie Vercauteren pulled it back to 4-3 as Parks dived left and the ball went down the middle.

So, up stepped Danny Thomas, with the chance to win it for Tottenham.  His shot was a couple of feet high and Munaron did well to dive right to push it out and leapt in the air to celebrate.  However, Arnor Gudjohnsen still approached his penalty with the score 4-3 to Spurs.  He took it, put it inside the post about waist high and Parks produced a leap sideways that got both hands to the ball and pushed it away to signal scenes of celebration on the pitch and in the stands, as Spurs won the UEFA Cup 4-3 on penalties, with a young goalkeeper the hero of the day and a manager who ended his career at the club with a trophy victory.

Comments : - 

It was following this game that departing manager Keith Burkinshaw made his comment about "There used to be a football club over there."  This referred to the floating of the club on the Stock Market and the way the club was being run, which had lead to his decision to leave after the final.

On another rainy night, Tottenham fans gathered outside the Red House on the High Road until the players and manager came to a window with the trophy.



Back to homepage