fa charity shield - 1961


Match Details : - 


Date : -  Saturday 12th August 1961

Kick off : -  15:00 p.m.

Venue : -  White Hart Lane.

Crowd : -  36,593

Weather : -  Bright and dry.

Referee : -  R. H. Windle (Chesterfield)

Score : -

Tottenham Hotspur 3 2 FA Select XI

Goalscorers : -           

Smith 40
Allen 68
Allen 76
  Haynes 10
Byrne 80


Teams : - 

Tottenham Hotspur : -  Bill Brown, Peter Baker, Maurice Norman, Ron Henry, Dave Mackay, Danny Blanchflower (c), Cliff Jones, John White, Terry Dyson, Bobby Smith, Les Allen.

FA Select XI : -  Ron Springett (Sheffield Wednesday), Jimmy Armfield (Blackpool) (c), Mick McNeil (Middlesbrough), Bobby Robson (West Bromwich Albion), Peter Swan (Sheffield Wednesday), Ron Flowers (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Bryan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers), Jimmy Robson (Burnley), Johnny Byrne (Crystal Palace), Johnny Haynes (Fulham), Bobby Charlton (Manchester United).

Match Report : -  

With Spurs having completed the Double in the 1960-1961 season, the traditional curtain-raiser for the following season that features the League Champions against the FA Cup winners would have been a bit tricky.  Therefore, the FA decided that the Charity Shield should be contested by Tottenham and a FA Select XI, chosen by England manager Walter Winterbottom from the pick of the Football League, which contained the nucleus of the England 1962 World Cup squad. 

The opposition had four days to train for the match and would have included Jimmy Greaves, but for his transfer to AC Milan, but even without the ace marksman, the FA settled the quicker and took a 10th minute lead.  With Dave Mackay's tackle on Bobby Charlton on the edge of the box deemed to be a foul, the FA side made the most of the opportunity, as Johnny "Budgie" Byrne played a short free-kick to Johnny Haynes and the Fulham man struck a low drive that touched off John White past Bill Brown in the Spurs goal.

Spurs were pushed back as the Select XI played the ball about well, with Brown saving from Haynes and Jimmy Robson, while he was relieved to see Bryan Douglas's effort stopped by the goal-post.  The only real Tottenham chance in the opening 25 minutes came when Cliff Jones had a shot headed away from the line by Blackpool's Jimmy Armfield.  Space was at a premium and the usual, flowing football Spurs played was difficult to impose, but five minutes before half-time, Bobby Smith equalised when he got to a back pass from Swan that Ron Springett failed to gather and the striker netted while the keeper was still trying to recover.

The second half was a different matter, with Spurs having got back into the game just before the interval, they started to feel at home (as they should have done !) and began taking the game to the FA side after the break.  Spurs were attacking constantly, with their midfield creating a succession of chances.  Peter Baker dwelt on the ball in the box and was robbed by the FA defence, but for all the attacking, Tottenham could not make the breakthrough.  It took until the 68th minute for Les Allen to give Spurs the lead.  Taking the ball off Bobby Robson, Allen moved forward and while at a narrow angle, he spotted Springett going for a cross and surprised him by slipping the ball past him at his near post.

76 minutes were on the clock when a melee followed a Terry Dyson corner, with Bobby Smith and Cliff Jones shooting at goal only to see their shots blocked, but the ball fell kindly for Allen to fire through a pack of players to make it 3-1 to Tottenham. 

The opponents still rallied and with pride at stake, they pulled a goal back in the 80th minute, when Byrne shot and although Bill Brown grabbed the ball after it had hit both posts, the lineman adjudged that the ball had gone over the line for a goal.  Despite a late surge, the FA could not breach the Tottenham defence again and so the Double winners proved themselves as worthy victors against the best in the country.


Comments : - 


Back to homepage